Thursday, September 23, 2004

Why not kill everyone we don't agree with?

Jimmy Swaggart tells congregation he'd kill gays
by David Batstone

Here's the quote in a sermon that was televised around the world and received shouts, laughter, and applause from the audience.

I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry. And I'm gonna be blunt and plain, if one ever looks at me like that I'm going to kill him and tell God he died. - Jimmy Swaggart

As the authors David Batstone states,

That's the theological loophole for what passes as Christian morality these days. Simply demonstrate why the other person, or race of people, has forfeited their status as a human being, and you can do with them what you will. By the way, that is the same theological loophole used by the church in Latin America to justify the massacre of millions of native Americans during the Conquest; they were not deemed human beings.

Jimmy Swaggert's apology?

I was unwise in making the statement. All of us have made statements we wish we hadn't made. That was one for me.

Want to know more or do something about it? Click on the link above to read the full article and cthen send Jimmy a letter. There's one already written for you and you can just add your name and send it along as a little reminder to Jimmy that God doesn't exclude anyone from his love.

1 Comments:

At October 3, 2004 at 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Jimmy say that 9/11 was God punishing us for allowing gays to live in our midst? Sounds like the good ol' boys are back at it again. It sounds like Mr. Swaggart is one of those types that never give people a running chance. I wonder if people like Jimmy would be living completely different lives if they gave everyone an equal opportunity in life. I bet everything would be different in their environment and experience. oh well

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home