Thursday, September 16, 2004

Conversations with Strangers and Computer Goodbyes

So, yesterday, on my way to the physical therapist for my knee injury (update: I have injured my IT band, but it's getting better) I passed a man walking on campus. I guess I was just thinking really hard and making a weird face because my knee hurt, but as he walked toward me, he stopped and said "Are you okay? You look upset!" I was completely caught off guard and managed to mumble a semi-convincing "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks!"

Then I started thinking, I'm not really feeling totally fine, but did he want me to tell him that? Did he want me to say, "Actually, I'm in pain right now and worried I won't be able to run the marathon I've been training for." He asked in a such a sincere, thoughtful way that he probably would care and listen if I told him what was really on my mind. But I was too surprised that someone actually noticed me and said something to me and I couldn't respond. The interaction stayed with me throughout the day though and I'm not sure why. It was out of the ordinary, yes, but it was also sweet and it made a difference for that moment. We're all walking around campus looking straight ahead, so self-absorbed that we forget others. And even if we notice them, rarely do we say anything. What if we did though? How would that change things besides increasing the number of weird looks people get?

Anyway, then today, I was in Best Buy, which brings me to the computer goodbyes portion of my blog as well as my second stranger interaction. First, I must admit I am addicted to the sims, but my computer hasn't been playing it recently. Every time I try to use it, my computer shuts down. So, in anticipation of sims 2 (which came out today), I brought my computer in to be fixed this past Saturday. I stopped in today to buy sims 2 and decided to check in on my computer while I was at it (I do need a computer to play it on, afterall!). So they told me basically my computer is "defective" and that they'll give me $1050 to buy a new one from their choices of stock. This made me happy but worried. I hadn't backed up any of my hard drive! So I begged them to let me take my computer home and see what I could get off of the hard drive before giving it back and trading it in.

So here I am, typing on my computer for the last time. I know I'll get a new one, but it's sad that this one is done. For the most part, it works okay. It just gets a little temperamental and shuts down sometimes. I understand that it takes up a lot of memory to play the sims, so maybe it doesn't like when I do that. But I've only had it one year! Such a short time for this relationship.

On my way out, I bought sims 2 and the guy at the register said, "I have to tell you, we have sold a ton of these today. What's the catch?" "Oh you've never played it?" I asked, even though it was an obvious question. I said "Well, it's addictive...and fun. I don't know what other people get out of video games, but this one requires creativity..and, well you should play it sometime." I had a difficult time answering his question, because in some ways, it was personal. What do you, graduate student female, get out of playing a game with simulated people living out a fake life? Good question! What do I get out of it?

While I contemplate this, I'm going to finish burning files to CDs and go back to trade this baby in. Hopefully I'll get something even better in exchange. And maybe I'll be able to ask a stranger a question that catches them off guard but somehow brightens their day. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home