Friday, August 27, 2004

Autopilot

In some ways it feels so weird to be on campus and in others it feels so natural.

I started my new job this week in the learning center on campus. JBS is here officially, so I've been spending lots of time with him. And basically, I feel like I have just been wandering through this week, slowly adjusting to all the new changes.

People are so amazing that way. You throw something at them, and somehow they just adjust and make it through. When I started here last year (I can't believe a whole year has gone by!) before I knew it, I was totally immersed in this new life wondering how I had gotten there. Where had all my old friends gone? Who were all these people I was hanging out with? How did I suddenly become a teacher? Who accepted me into this program and thought I could succeed?

I remember all this as I see the new people coming into the program. It's so overwhelming. I want to tell them that they don't have to try to do it all. Especially not at first. There are always those overachievers that freak everyone else out. They do everything and tell everyone else about it. But you just have to discover things at your own pace. It all works out fine, even if you don't have it all down the first day you walk into the classroom of thirty students staring at you. I wish they would believe me if I told them that.

Anyway, lots of thoughts are going through my head as I remember this past year and look forward to all the surprises this year holds. I wonder if I will ever think of a year as being January to December instead of September to June...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home