Monday, August 16, 2004

Reunited

Saturday afternoon: five year high school reunion.

I was so nervous before I went. I called Courtney: "Do I want to look hot or sophisticated?" She just laughed. Hmm. I guess a little of both would have to do. So then, what to wear? No one was home for advice except my dad, so I presented him with the options. A knee-length skirt with big floral print. Or dressy khaki tommy hilfiger pants. His response: "Well, I've never worn a skirt, so I'd say the pants." Then I called Jesse. His response: "The skirt could be hit or miss - some people might not like the print." Oh. This had not occured to me. "Well, is it flattering?" "Well, yeah." Not convinced - pants it is. Add in a black tank top, and the pointy black high heeled shoes that I love. (Nevermind the fact that Kito chewed the heel of them - I decide that the pants are long enough the chewed part of the shoe will not be exposed. I love the shoes too much not to wear them).

But first, I must iron perfect creases into the pants. Jodi walks up to me. "I'm nervous!" I confide in her. "I can't believe it's been five years since you were in high school!" No kidding. I'm getting old. "Rach," she says, patting me on the back, "You've come a long way in five years." I have? Hmm. Yes, as a matter of fact, I have, I think. I ask her to explain what she means, but she just says "Oh, I don't know," and walks away.

I flash back to a distinct memory of my high school graduation rehearsal. They passed out three by five cards. "Where do you think you'll be in five years? We need you to write down any contact information so we can find you for the reunion." This idea frightened me. My parents were moving that summer, but I had no idea where they were going. No address. I pictured myself in five years at 23...where would I be living? Would I be married? What would I be like?

Okay, back to the present task at hand - getting dressed. Eventually I make it out of the house, go pick up Courtney, and venture in the rain to the bar where the reunion was being held, toting my polka dotted umbrella (which would later be left behind while eating late night burritos at Chipotle).

Then the long evening began. I had a fabulous time seeing old friends. It's funny how quickly reunion etiquette is established. "Heyyyyy {insert name here if you can remember it or look at it on the name tag}, how are you?! It's grrrrreat to see you! What have you been up to?" Then, the same question is asked of you, at which point you give a succinct one sentence answers that somehow sums up and quantifies your life. "I'm in grad school at Penn State studying interpersonal communication." "Oh, great," they say.

I wish there was time for more interesting questions. So, how have you changed in five years? Or, what was the biggest lesson you learned since high school? Or, what was the most amazing book you read or class you took? But of course, these questions require thought and time, and are not suitable for a conversation that requires yelling because the music is too loud.

But then, I would ask questions like "How's your family?" and find that someone's dad or mom had passed away. Or I would find out that a friend would never run again because he had been in a bad car accident. Hearing sad news, I would quickly rearrange my face into one of sympathy, trying to grasp the amount of heartache and hardtimes that could be crammed into five years.

I feel lucky. I still have my parents. I can still run. I haven't endured any serious tragedies. And although there have been some hard times, the past five years have been full of blessings.

All in all, we had a great time, drinking too much, and reminding each other of funny high school stories. I tried to start a game of name that person. Our graduating class was around 800 people, so inevitably there were people there that I didn't recognize. Is that David White? I asked. But no one knew that name, so I decided I must have made it up.

I felt supremely special to be surrounded by people that saw me grow up. Even though we don't know much about each other's lives now, it didn't seem to matter. We have shared experiences, a shared past. I was suprised how comfortable I felt around them.

We exchanged cell phone numbers and email addresses and promised to meet for lunch sometime soon. And maybe we will. But even if we don't, I feel like it was a gift to cross paths with them again - to connect with them again, even if it was brief. There was no talk about the specifics of grad school of annoying students that make my life hell. No talk about what to write my thesis on, or what classes I was taking this semester. Those are the things that normally dominate my conversations with people at school. But this was all about the moment. With not enough time to figure out details about what was going on with someone, we were forced to just soak up the presence of each other.

So, this amazingly fun filled weekend is a great start to my week off. Right now, I am curled up on my parent's couch with my laptop, a blanket, and kito sleeping happily next to me. Someone is mowing their lawn outside, and kids are riding their bikes, determined to enjoy the last days of summer freedom. I have already had one cup of coffee my dad brought back from Africa and I might even have another.

Days like today, I can't help but be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home