Wednesday, October 06, 2004

First, Happy Birthday to Jen today! Head on over to her site and leave her some birthday love!

Okay, I don't have much else to write right now, except for that I am really super tired and I can't seem to liven up.

I keep feeling incredibly guilty that I don't have my thesis proposal done yet. I know it will get done eventually, but this guilt is paralyzing me. It keeps me up at night. Oh no! I'm taking six thesis credits and what do I have to show for it?! AHHHH!

On a happy note, I made homemade cheesecake for my roommate's birthday yesterday. I hate a big piece with cherries and whipped cream, but I refused to feel guilty for that. Every bite was heavenly. Yum.

On the guilt note, and since I am reading stuff about emotion for my thesis, here is a question for you. Some researchers assert that emotions developed because they help us make decisions. Emotions motivate us to act certain ways and give us more information about our environment.

If you agree with this, what purpose do you think guilt serves?


1 Comments:

At October 7, 2004 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Dave said...

I think it's important to note that the process of evolution is all about tradeoffs and side-effects. New and improved features come at a price. For example, walking upright was an important step in the evolution of humans, but we have lower back problems all the time.

Guilt might not be a feature, but a side-effect of some other emotion or motivation that leads to (useful) social cohesion.

Of course, it could be a first-rate feature. People use guilt all the time to keep others in line.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home