Monday, August 13, 2007

Summer Days...

So I never wrote to say that I passed comps...but I did! As my advisor said before my oral defense, "SLAM DUNK, Rachel!" That made me feel great. All these years of work and I was finally able to show that I have what it takes.

After getting over that hurdle, I finished up my very last semester of classes, collected LOTS of data in our cool interaction lab here, and now I'm teaching public speaking. We got to go to San Fran for a conference and then Jesse and I went to Napa and Sonoma Valley to tour the wineries. It was great!

Besides that, I've just been working hard doing research and trying to gear myself up for a year of writing my dissertation. I'm applying for jobs this Fall (as long as I get my diss proposal done). It's very exciting but there are a LOT of uncertainties.

Jesse and I did a lot of re-organizing and re-designing this summer, too. I have managed to work my way through every closet and room in our house. We even drove down to IKEA and borrowed my parents' van to buy new bedroom furniture and new bookcases for the office. It looks so great now -- we're really happy with how it turned out.

So, 10 more days until Fall semester starts...and for once in my life, I'm not taking any classes! I can't believe it. I'm teaching two classes though -- one 100 level public speaking course and then a 400 level interpersonal conflict course (which I'm very excited about).

Anyway, just wanted to write a quick update. Here's a picture of Jesse and I from Zach & Laura's wedding this weekend. It was a great time.

2 Comments:

At August 19, 2007 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Congrats Hon! Let me know if you need a retreat in the woods to read, write, or just down time. I've got a spare room, an office, and a whole bunch of classes to teach, so the house would be yours during the days. Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home